7 Tips If You Are Stopped or Detained by Police
- April 1, 2016
- Comments Off on 7 Tips If You Are Stopped or Detained by Police
Being stopped or detain by police can be downright terrifying. Try not to let your nerves get the better of you, remain calm and keep these seven tips handy.
- Stay calm; always be polite and respectful to the officer.
- If asked, identify yourself to the officer.
- Obey any command or order of the officer, including a request for license, registration, and proof of insurance.
- Do not physically interfere with the officer in any way. If the officer attempts to arrest you or conduct a search without your consent, do not physically interfere or resist.
- If the police question you, politely inform the officer of the following: I respectfully decline to answer any questions, without first speaking with my attorney.
- If the police request to search you, your car or your property, politely say: I respectfully decline to consent to any search of my person or property, including car or home, without first speaking with my attorney.
- If you decide to speak to the officer, be completely honest.